Re: mdadm vs zfs for home server?

On Mon, 27 May 2013 13:09:12 -0500
Matt Garman <matthew.garman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the way to go.  I don't know how necessary it is, but I like the
> idea of having the in-filesystem checksums to prevent "silent" data
> corruption.

On some machines I run btrfs on top of MD RAID. In this configuration btrfs
can't heal checksum errors, but will still detect them if they appear.

btrfs now also has built-in RAID5 and RAID6 which *can* heal errors, but
that's still way too immature for being actually used. In fact one may
consider btrfs as a whole to be not mature enough yet, but in my experience
without using fancy cutting edge features like RAID it generally works, and I
don't remember seeing mailing list reports of any data loss or corruption from
anyone in a long time.

--
With respect,
Roman