Re: Failed during rebuild (raid5)

On 05/05/2013 10:00 AM, Andreas Boman wrote:
On 05/03/2013 08:26 AM, Ole Tange wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Andreas Boman<aboman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This morning I came up to see the array degraded with two missing drives,
another failed during the rebuild.
I just started this page for dealing with situations like yours:
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID

/Ole

After having ddrescue running all night, it dropped to copying at a rate of 512B/s. I interrupted it and restarted, it stays at that speed. shows no errors:

   Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
          Initial status (read from logfile)
    rescued:   557052 MB,  errsize:       0 B,  errors:       0
    Current status
rescued: 1493 GB, errsize: 0 B, current rate: 512 B/s ipos: 937316 MB, errors: 0, average rate: 16431 kB/s opos: 937316 MB, time from last successful read: 0 s
          Copying non-tried blocks...

However that is much too slow...

Then, I decided to take a look at the superblocks and to my horror discovered this:

# mdadm --examine /dev/sd[b-g] >>raid.status
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdb.
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdc.
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdd.
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sde.
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdf.
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdg.

Can I recover still? What is going on here?

Thanks,
Andreas

Turns out the superblocks are there. I ran --examine on the disk instead of partition. OOps.

I still have the problem with ddrescue being very slow, it is running at 512 B/s pretty much no matter what options I use. The ddrescued disk does NOT have a md superblock. I tried to ddrescue -i to skip and grab the last 3MB or so of the disk, that seemed to work, but I still don't have the superblock.

How do I find/recover the superblock from the original disk?

After that is done I'll try to get the array up with 4 disks, then add the spare and have it rebuild. After that I'll add a disk to go to raid 6.

Thanks,
Andreas