Re: RAID50 boot problems

On 24 April 2013 07:52, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > /lib/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid.rules is here
>> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/5592227/
>>
>> Bug tested positive also on Ubuntu Precise (12.04) and reported to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/1171945
>>
>> Vennlige hilsener / Best regards
>>

> This will run "mdadm --incremental $tempnode" on any device for which
> ID_FS_TYPE is set to "linux_raid_member", which certainly seems reasonable.
>
> What does:
>    udevadm info --query=property --path=/dev/mdXXX | grep ID_FS_TYPE
>
> report for the raid5 arrays?
>
> Looking bug report I see that md0 and md1 have
>    ID_FS_TYPE=linux_raid_member
>
> So that should be working.
>
> The fact that rootdelay=10 makes a difference suggests that it is
> successfully assembling the raid0, but just taking a bit too long.
> Maybe the script in the initrd needs "udevadm settle" just before it attempts
> to mount.
>
> Can you look inside the initrd and see if "udevadm settle" is used anywhere?

Yes, we do call and wait for udevadm to settle a few times, but it is
still too short and may not be long enough to detect nested raid
volumes and mount them properly in the correct order and non-degraded.
I have a few thoughts on using a strategy similar to that in dracut /
fedora to pass ids of the md arrays to assemble for rootfs device, and
keep trying to assemble the rest of mdadm "on best effort" basis
during boot.
That way I am also hoping to finally get rid of the dreaded "boot
degraded" boot option / question / prompt.
This is still just design in progress and hasn't been implemented yet.
I will be contacting this mailing list once I have something ready to
improve raid assembly in ubuntu.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.