Re: md dropping disks too early (was: Use RAID-6!)

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Ben Bucksch wrote:

I am also concerned about 2) bit errors and silently broken sectors, and want my RAID to detect and fix those. I am not sure that Linux md does that.

Yes it does, but you need to do frequent scrubbing to reduce the risk of hitting this when you actually need it, ie after complete drive failure.

Given that this RAID array is for my personal use, and the amount of disk slots in a machine is limited, and drives need 24/7 power, too, a RAID5 is the right choice for me, given the above situation.

It's the combination of drive failure and other drive having read errors that RAID6 protects against. At least that's my primary use for it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx