Re: RAID5 recovering

> > Given the rebuild time for a 1To disk, I'd be wary of running RAID5
> > - if
> > you have the space, adding another disk and going to RAID6 will be
> > much
> > safer.
>
> As I see it, 3 disks is about the only configuration where RAID5 still
> does make sense.
>
> 4 disks is a tricky spot, RAID5 already feels a bit too dangerous, but
> RAID6 is still not space-efficient enough.

Given the fact that all data demands grow, the space-efficiency part is temporary, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Helped a friend to setup a RAID-5 and after her initial drive failure occured, gave her a tip on getting a new one in addition to the RMAed one. 4 drives in RAID-6 now, half a year after the initial failure, rock solid. If she gets a double drive failure, well, the chances are good her data survives it.

So yes, use RAID-6 if you can. Perhaps even with a spare if you've got another drive and you don't need the extra space.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk