Re: Odd --examine output

On Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 04:13:35PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> >> So, if I start the partition at sector 64 (rather than 63), that's
> >> better,
> >> right (since 64 is a multiple of 8)? Or is there more math to do and
> >> I'm still not getting it?
>
> Roy> I still don't understand why people use partitions for RAID when
> Roy> the whole drive is used anyway. Partitions were invented to
> Roy> partition things up and are of no use if you want to spend the
> Roy> whole drive's space for RAID use (or otherwise).
>
> Because if I take a 2tb disk a I put a partition on there which is a
> bit smaller than the full disk, if I then add a new 2tb (or any other
> size) disk which says it's 2tb, but it's really a bit smaller, then
> I'm not screwed.  I've had it happen.

Recently? AFAIK, all modern drives (everything over 320G-ish IIRC) use
standardised sizes (i.e. any 2TB disk will present exactly the same
number of sectors). I recall reading that all the manufacturers agreed
to do this to prevent just this sort of issue, though I can't find a
reference to it now.

Cheers,
    Robin
--