Re: Is (non-failed) disk replace possible without loosing redundancy ?

On 2013-04-12, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:01:24 +0600 Roman Mamedov <rm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:52:59 -0700
>> Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Is there any way to accomplish the same sort of
>> > thing in a RAID5 or 6?
>> There is the "want_replacement" mechanism. It exists, it works perfectly,=
>  but
>> from this thread it looks like no one knows about it. Actually I am not s=
> ure
>> where it is documented, try searching the mail list archives.

Actually, I had seen want_replacement before, but had only skimmed
messages about it.  I apologize for not realizing what it was--I should
have remembered that feature and followed up on it first.

> Checkout the devel mdadm from git://neil.brown.name/mdadm/
>
>  make man
>  less mdadm.man
>
> and search for "--replace"
>
> Requires linux-3.3 or later.

This is probably one reason why want_replacement didn't stick in my
head; I'm not quite ready for 3.3.  But perhaps this will encourage me
to try to move up more quickly.

Thanks all!

--keith

--