Re: Creating a RAID10 (near) for use in a CentOS 6 system

On 3/25/2013 5:44 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
..Oh that's a totally different scenario.
I thought you wanted the raid10 array for /home or /data or whatever.
That's pretty messy, actually, even on Fedora 18/19 which has the benefit of a new anaconda and GRUB2. GRUB2 definitely can assemble md raid10, and read most any file system, find /boot, and load the kernel and initramfs. That's not something I think GRUB Legacy can do, which is what CentOS 6 is using.

..

I'm unsure of your use case, but I'm thinking you may be better off with a small SSD for the boot, swap and system disk, and then use a separate raid10 array for /home, /opt, /data, whatever else you want.
Otherwise it's a bit of a rabbit hole.

Fair enough then.

What about partitioning the drives first, installing a smallish partition for boot, then a second much larger partition on each for the RAID10? Do you think that the CentOS installer and GRUB would have any issues with that layout?

Thanks Chris.

--
Cheers,
Maurice Hilarius