Re: Periodically scanning RAID arrays for inconsistencies

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 15:50:05 -0600 Brassow Jonathan <jbrassow@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Is there a way to periodically scan a RAID array to report any discrepancies?  This would be something like the initial synchronization, but would do nothing but report anomalies.  For example, it is possible for tracks to be altered when adjacent tracks are repeatedly written.  It might happen rarely, but without a periodic scan, you would never know about it.  Leaving aside the question of /what/ to do when an anomaly is found, I haven't seen any code or indication in the man page for 'mdadm' that would suggest this is currently possible.  Am I wrong?  Is there a way to do this?
>
>  brassow

echo check > /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action

look for results in /sys/block/mdX/md/mismatch_cnt

See "SCRUBBING AND MISMATCHES" in "man 4 md".

Yes it would be nice if mdadm provided a nicer interface to this.  Patches
welcome:-)

NeilBrown