Re: Usefulness of RAID 4

On 19/02/13 23:46, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2013 9:01 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> Assuming HDD only, is there broad use case for RAID 4 that RAID 5
>>> isn't equally or better suited for?
>>>
>>> What about making the parity drive an SSD, keeping the other
>>> drives HDD?

Raid 4 has no good uses as a final format for a raid layout - raid 5 is
better in every way.

However, raid 4 /is/ useful as an intermediary format for md raid,
during operations like re-shaping and re-sizing.  It is more like a raid
5 with an unusual parity layout (md raid also supports raid 6 with a
number of different parity layouts for the same reason).

>> Why are you revisiting RAID-4?
>
> Because it's offered in Fedora 18's GUI installer.

Fedora is a distribution aimed at experienced users and tinkerers, so it
tends to include all sorts of weird opinions in the installer - simply
because Linux supports them.  It will probably also have an option to
use the minix file system for your root file system.