Re: RAID performance

On 2/17/2013 8:46 AM, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> I'll start with this method... Haven't looked at the iscsiadm man page
> again yet, but I suspect it shouldn't be too hard to work out. I'm also
> thinking I could just run the discover and manually delete the
> extraneous files the same as I was doing previously. I'll sort this out
> next week.

I strongly suggest you read/research and plan beforehand.  If you have
not setup your SAN subnetting and Xen IP SAN ethernet port assignments
correctly, you will not be able to use LUN masking, as it is based on
subnet masks, to show/hide LUNs to initiators.  Which means you'll have
to rip out and redo your IP assignments on the fly.

Building a SAN such as this isn't something that can be done properly
while flying by the seat of your pants.  It takes planning.

> Well, hard to say, but here is the fio test result from the OS drive
> before the kernel change:
>    READ: io=4096MB, aggrb=518840KB/s, minb=531292KB/s, maxb=531292KB/s,
> mint=8084msec, maxt=8084msec
>   WRITE: io=4096MB, aggrb=136404KB/s, minb=139678KB/s, maxb=139678KB/s,
> mint=30749msec, maxt=30749msec

> Disk stats (read/write):
>   sda: ios=66570/66363, merge=10297/10453, ticks=259152/993304,
> in_queue=1252592, util=99.34%

This says /dev/sda

> Here is the same test with the new kernel (note, this SSD is still
> connected to the motherboard, I wasn't confident if the HBA drivers were
> included in my kernel, when I installed it, etc.
>
>    READ: io=4096MB, aggrb=516349KB/s, minb=528741KB/s, maxb=528741KB/s,
> mint=8123msec, maxt=8123msec
>   WRITE: io=4096MB, aggrb=143812KB/s, minb=147264KB/s, maxb=147264KB/s,
> mint=29165msec, maxt=29165msec
>
> Disk stats (read/write):
>   sdf: ios=66509/66102, merge=10342/10537, ticks=260504/937872,
> in_queue=1198440, util=99.14%

this says /dev/sdf

> Interesting that there is very little difference.... I'm not sure why...

Is this the same SSD?  Could be test parameters, controller, etc.  SSDs
seem to be a little finicky WRT write queue depth.  Most seem to give
lower seq write performance with a QD of 1 and level off at peak
performance around QD of 3 to 4.  The IO request size plays a role as
well.  Paste your FIO command line as well as the model of this OS SSD.

> It would be interesting to re-test the onboard SATA performance, but I
> assure you I really don't want to pull that machine apart again. (Some
> insane person mounted it on the rack mount rails upside down!!! So it's
> a real pita for something that is supposed to make life easier!

WTF? How did you accomplish the upgrades?  Why didn't you flip it over
at that time?  Wow....

> So, it has been through some hoops, and has taken some effort, but at

Put it through another hoop and get it mounted upright.  I still can't
believe this...  you must be pulling our collective leg.

> the end of the day, I think we have a much better solution than buying
> any off the shelf SAN device, and most definitely get a lot more
> flexibility.

Definitely cheaper, and more flexible should you need to run a filer
(Samba) directly on the box.  Not NEARLY as easy to setup.  Nexsan has
some nice gear that's a breeze to configure, nice intuitive web GUI.

> Eventually the plan is to add a 3rd DRBD node at a remote
> office for DR purposes.

IIRC, DRBD isn't recommended for remote site use with public networks
due to reliability.  Will you have a GbE metro ethernet connection, or two?

>> I've been designing and building servers around channel parts for over
>> 15 years, and I prefer it any day to Dell/HP/IBM etc.  It's nice to see
>> other folks getting out there on the bleeding edge building ultra high
>> performance systems with channel gear.  We don't see systems like this
>> on linux-raid very often.
>
> I prefer the "channel parts systems" as well, though I was always a bit
> afraid to build them for customers just in case it went wrong... I

'Whitebox' or 'custom' if you prefer.  Selecting good quality components
with solid manufacturer warranty and technical support, and performing
extensive burn, in is the key to success.  I've had good luck with
SuperMicro mainboards and chassis/backplanes.  Intel server boards are
quality as well, but for many years I've been exclusively AMD for CPUs,
for many reasons.  I do prefer Intel's NICs.

> always build up my own stuff though. Of course, next time I need to do
> something like this, I'll have a heck of a lot more knowledge and
> confidence to do it.

Unless you're always learning/doing new stuff IT gets boring.

--
Stan