Re: RAID10 layout question

> 2) Will I take a performance hit if I manually make two RAID1 sets and
> then a RAID0 of them?

I'd rather use separate mirrors (raid1) and use lvm on top of that - better flexibility.

> 3) Should I forget about the layout and just use RAID6?

Depends what you need. RAID-6 will give you lower IOPS, but better sequencial I/O. It will also stand *any* two drives failing, while striped mirrors (raid-10 or raid-1 with raid-0/lvm on top) will only tolerate a single drive failing per mirror. The chances of two drives failing at the same time is low, but it's rather common to see a single drive failing and then seeing bad data on another drive. If not scterc (smartctl etc) is enabled, or the timeout (/sys/block/$dev/device/timeout) hasn't been increased, a single bad sector may make md kick out a drive, which would be bad if it's rebuilding a mirror. Personally, I use RAID-6 - it's safe and fast enough for my needs.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk