Re: RAID performance

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Why would you plug thousands of dollars of SSD into an onboard
>> controller? It's probably running off a 1x PCIE shared with every
>> other onboard device. An LSI 8x 8 port HBA will run you a few
>> hundred(less than 1 SSD) and let you melt your northbridge. At least
>> on my Supermicro X8DTL boards I had to add active cooling to it or it
>> would overheat and crash at sustained IO. I can hit 2 - 2.5GB a second
>> doing large sequential IO with Samsung 840 Pros on a RAID10.
>
> Those onboard controllers are usually connect to 8x PCIe or similar. Also, those controllers from LSI won't allow TRIM support, which may come in handy…

Be sure to check your motherboard documentation each time though. It
turned out his was connected to a 4x DMI 2.0 bus which I had mistaken
as a DMI 1.0 even after reading the docs. Thats approximately a 4x
PCI. It was still shared with all the other devices on the motherboard
including another 4x slot and gigabit ethernet adapters. Also it
wasn't a very good SATA controller even. You can get onboards that are
decent. I have several builds that come with onboard LSI SAS
controllers. Just those are hooked directly to the northbridge on a
dedicated 4x PCIE.

The LSI RAID doesn't support TRIM, I don't know any hardware
controller that does at yet. I just use them as plain HBAs with md for
the raid. When I get a kernel with the mdtrim patches TRIM will just
magically(hopefully) start working.

--
Dave Cundiff
System Administrator