Re: help please, can't mount/recover raid 5 array

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Daniel Sanabria wrote:

Thanks a million Guys !!! I re-created the RAID and fsck it and it's mounting fine now. The array is my /home partition and I can't see any significant losses. But I'm still not sure what happened, I mean what consideration should I take next time I upgrade?

First of all: --create --assume-clean is a huge big enormous hammer. It shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary, when all other options are exhausted.

I am not aware of any gotchas when upgrading, I have done it numerous times, even moved array drives between machines, and it's worked well so far. From your information there isn't really any way to tell what happened.

So best way before next upgrade is to save mdadm --examine and hope it works properly (it should). If it doesn't, please send an email to the list with as much information as possible (mdadm --examine, dmesg etc) and see where that leads before using the big hammer.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx