Re: raid/device failure

On February 11, 2013, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > I've re-configured my NAS box (still haven't put it into "production")
> > to be a
> > raid5 over 7 2TB consumer seagate barracuda drives, and with some
> > tweaking, performance was looking stellar.
>
> Using that many drives in raid-5 is a bit risky. Better use raid-6…
>
> Just my 2c

Yeah, I had first set it up in raid6. But I will have a separate backup array
of this array. Nothing fancy, just a linear concat of some 3TB+1TB disks,
though it may eventually get upgraded to a raid5 of 3TB disks.

I've figured that if I lose three disks all within the 5 hour time it takes to
do a full rebuild, I probably have larger problems to worry about than losing
my collection of random linux isos, even more random downloaded files, debian
apt mirror, one copy of my important backed up files, and miscelaneous media
files. I'll be running with the bitmap enabled, so if there are minor
problems, the array will take minutes to resync rather than hours.

Also, since I've gotten decent power supplies and UPSs, I haven't had very
many issues with harddrives. I personally haven't had a drive failure that
wasn't within the first couple weeks of purchase in years. And I always try to
make sure to stress test disks before putting them into service to weed out
SIDS.

This way I get the 10TB+ I was aiming for when I decided to build a NAS. In
raid6, I get 9.2TB or so. Very close I know ;)

> Vennlige hilsener / Best regards
>
> roy
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
> (+47) 98013356
> roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
> GPG Public key: http://karlsbakk.net/roysigurdkarlsbakk.pubkey.txt
> --
> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det
> er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse
> av idiomer med xenotyp etymologi. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer
> adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk. --

Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx