Re: RAID performance

On Feb 7, 2013, at 4:48 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Basically, on occasion, when a user copies a
>> large file from disk to disk,

> Why did you reject NFS …

A sign of brain deficiency, responding to myself…

Maybe this is an array to array transfer (?) and not LV to LV transfer where both LVs are on this SSD array? If it's the latter, geez, use NFS. This transaction is reduced to a rename (i.e. a move). Super fast.

Even if it's the former, with different block devices on the same server, I'm pretty sure NFSv4 can reduce this to a cp between devices, rather than piping the data all the way to the client, just to have the client pipe it back to the server. Although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris Murphy--