Re: md: kicking non-fresh sdf3 from array!

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Whoops!  The list was dropped...
>
> On 12/27/2012 03:24 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
>> On 12/27/2012 03:20 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> Thanks Phil,
>>>    I've added the device back in and the rebuild is proceeding.
>>>
>>>    So the new piece of info here for me is this idea of a bitmap. I'll
>>> have to go look into that, but a quick question - is that something
>>> that can be added to the RAID6 at this time, or can you only do that
>>> when you first build it? As I have some issue with my (possibly)
>>> initramfs I expect I'll kick the devices a few more times before I get
>>> it worked out. Would be nice if putting the disk back in didn't take
>>> so long.
>>
>> You can add a bitmap to any v1.x array after the fact with "--grow".  It
>> does add a little overhead to the write path, so you might not want it
>> in a heavily loaded server.  For a test-bed or other system prone to
>> crashes, it's a godsend.
>>
>> Phil

So it was. Thanks for catching that.

OK, so adding the bitmap looks straight-forward

mdadm --grow --bitmap=internal /dev/md3

and then wait, although I think I can continue to use the RAID while
this is progressing.

I cannot see that someone like me (or rather my usage model - home
compute server doing 2 or 3 fairly heavily loaded Windows VMs most of
the day) would want anything other than an internal bitmap, correct?
Note that the VM files actually reside on a different RAID, which is
rather unfortunately part of the same set of disks but different
partitions. As I said, this has been a learning process. (!) My hope
is that over time I can move all of these different things to this one
RAID6, reclaim disk space, grow the RAID6, etc., until I get the whole
disk back.

Thanks,
Mark