Upgarding Mdadm

Hi guys

I would mainly like to get some confirmation that I can upgrade my mdadm
with source code on a system that is already running.

I am running an Ubuntu 10.04 server which has a fairly early version of
madm (straight from repository) and it has the problem that so many
people have written about when rebooting or starting up. I have to have
about 3 goes as it keeps complaining that one of the drives (by UUID) is
not present. It is the drive listed in fstab, not the arrays. All of a
sudden after a few attempts it starts up OK.

Many of the articles refer to upgrading to mdadm 3.1.5 from the source
code as a good fix.

I haven't actually seen anyone write about the upgrade process itself,
so my question boils down to asking if I can remove the repository
version with apt-get, then install the new version from source on a
system that is actually operating??

Is anyone sure if it will work with Ubuntu 10.04 server?? Does anything
else need upgrading.

I would certainly appreciate any advice.

Mike
Australia