Re: Checksumming RAID?

> > That doesn't make sense. Nearline and enterprise drives are large
> > 7k2 drives that come in consumer and enterprise models, such as
> > Hitachi Deskstar and Ultrastar. The latter is said to have better
> > bearings etc, although I don't know the difference for sure. With
> > WDs large drives, most of the difference is said to be in the
> > firmware (such as TLER in the enterprise/RAID drives). Comparing
> > "nearline" and "enterprise" like done here, is merely a comparison
> > of small and large drives, where it's well known that the smaller
> > (less dense) drives have less errors.
> >

> Less dense but also the drives are probably the 10k & 15k RPM drives
> which have to be built to better tolerances given the expectation
> they'll be spinning for most of their five year life.

So what you're saying is that the "enterprise" drives that spin on 7k2 are just overpriced desktop drives? That really doesn't make sense. In my vocabolary, "nearline" means "slower", not worse. It'd be really interesting to get some opinions from someone that actually knows this, or perhaps some real-world statistics. Google had a study some years ago, which at that point showed desktop drives and enterprise drives had about the same error rate. That may be slightly outdated now, but still…

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk