Re: Checksumming RAID?

On 11/27/2012 12:20 PM, David Brown wrote:
I can certainly sympathise with you, but I am not sure that data
checksumming would help here.  If your hardware raid sends out nonsense,
then it is going to be very difficult to get anything trustworthy.  The

When a single hardware unit (any kind of block device) in a
raid-level > 0 decides to send wrong data, correct data always can be reconstructed. You only need to know which unit it is - checksums help to figure that out.

obvious answer here is to throw out the broken hardware raid and use a
system that works - but it is equally obvious that that is easier said
than done!  But I would find it hard to believe that this is a common
issue with hardware raid systems - it goes against the whole point of
data storage.

With disks it is not that uncommon. But yes, hardware raid controllers usually do not scramble data.

There is always a chance of undetected read errors - the question is if
the chances of such read errors, and the consequences of them, justify
the costs of extra checking.  And if they /do/ justify extra checking,
are data checksums the right way?  I agree with Neil's post that
end-to-end checksums (such as CRCs in a gzip file, or GPG integrity
checks) are the best check when they are possible, but they are not
always possible because they are not transparent.

Everything below block or filesystem level is too late. Just remember, writing not a complete stripe implies reads in order to update the p and q parity blocks. So even if your application could later on detect that (Do your applications usually verify checksums? In HPC I don't know of a single application to do that...), file system meta data already would be broken.

Cheers,
Bernd