Re: is "replaceable" in 3.2 considered stable

On 11/07/12 14:44, Brad Campbell wrote:
On 07/11/12 17:55, joystick wrote:

we still need someone to test the other case, a more common scenario I'd
say: the disk to be replaced fails during hot-replace

I suspect I can do that by creating some "media errors" using hdparm while the replacement is in progress.

Hi Brad

That seems to be one way, but only for read errors, another would be with dm-flakey, which AFAIU would also allow to fail writes, and the faulty raid type (man mdadm) the last two should allow to also test with write failures and hence complete failure of the source disk which should interrupt hotreplace and fallback to normal rebuild (I don't know if restarting from first byte or more intelligently going ahead with rebuild from the point of failure of hot-replace).

Then, the presence of the bad-blocks-list also changes the behaviour of hot-replace, so that one also would have to be tested if you are interested, so that makes already a lot of cases:

- read error only or readwrite error in source device
- presence of bad-block-list yes/no
(4 cases)

- write error of destination device
- power loss in the middle of hot-replace
- bad-blocks set for many devices (more than parity or mirror level) all on the same strip (4k wide) including the disk to be replaced, which AFAIR should cause a corresponding bad-block hole in the device destination of hotreplace, which in turn would cause read-error to be returned immediately by MD if that area is read.

- simultaneous hot-replace of 2+ drives; I don't know if this is supposed to work...

If you put together a set of tests you'd like performed I'll be happy to run them and see what happens. The machine is on a managed APC PDU (yay Gumtree!), so remote power cycling is a lot easier than it used to be and I really don't mind hammering the disks with emergency parks or excessive cycles.

Did that :-P
I'll tell you if some other test comes to my mind

Thanks for your work