Re: [RFC 1/2]raid1: only write mismatch sectors in sync

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 01:36:57PM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:01:34 +0800 Shaohua Li <shli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > You still aren't answering my question.
> > >
> > > What exactly, precisely, specifically, will an "experienced user" do?
> >
> > Set something to a sysfs entry to enable the feature (like my RFC patch does to
> > have a new sysfs entry for the feature), and readd disk. resync then does 'only
> > write mismatch data'. Is this what you asked?

sorry for the delay.

> Yes, that is the sort of thing I was asking for.
> When you say "readd disk" I assume you mean to use the --readd option to
> mdadm.
> The only works when there is a bitmap active on the array,  so relatively few
> blocks will be resynced so does it really matter which approach is taken?
> Always copy, or read-and-test?
>
> Though maybe you really mean to "--add" the device.  In that case it would
> probably make sense to add some other option to mdadm to say "enable
> read-mostly recovery".  I wonder what a good name would be.
> --minimize-writes ??

Yep, it's '--add' case. For the '--readd' with bitmap case, bitmap can already
avoid a lot of write already. The useage case is something like:
one disk is broken; trim whole disk of a new disk; add the new disk
If source disk has a lot of 0 and we only write mismatch data, we can avoid
write a lot.

I believe we need such mechanism for '--create' too, if the first disk has some
data, but the second disk is empty.

> You earlier gave a list of scenarios in which you thought this would be
> useful.  It was:

> For case '3', it would be a "resync" rather than a "recovery".  How would you
> expect an "advanced user" to choose read-and-test recovery in that case?
> There is no "readd" command happening.

If there is bitmap, maybe we don't need do read-and-test, so this one isn't
very necessary in current stage. If not, what I suggested is:
1. user suspends resync (write something to a sysfs file)
2. user enables read-and-test (again, write a sysfs file)
3. resume resync

Thanks,
Shaohua