Re: mdadm --grow Hard Drive Size Puzzle

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 19:19:34 -0700 Aaron Greenspan <aarong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> I found your personal web site by doing a Google search on mdadm, so I'm not sure if you are the right person to ask this of, or if it's a dumb question in the first place, but here's what I'm running into.

Yes, this is the right place to ask.
No, this is not a dumb question.

> I had a RAID 1 array on CentOS 6 (which comes with mdadm 3.2.3) of two 250GB SATA Western Digital hard drives. It was finally time to upgrade their capacity, so I purchased two 2TB SATA Seagate hard drives. I replaced them one at a time, first by removing old drive B (slot 1), then copying over the partitions from old drive A (slot 0) to new drive C (slot 1), and then swapping the drives so that I could copy the partitions from new drive C (slot 0) to drive D (slot 1).
>
> This generally worked fine, with one exception. As I said, the drives are 2TB each. Somehow I'm only being given 1TB to work with. Here's what mdadm reports for the first new drive:

Should work.... what kernel are you running?  There was a bug between 2.6.30
and 2.6.37 which would have the effect.
A quick good search suggest that Centos 6 uses 2.6.32, which would be
affected until 2.6.32.27 which contains the fix.

If you reboot (or just stop the array and re-assemble it), md should get
itself sorted out and the --grow will work.

The commit that fixes the bug is  c26a44ed1e552aaa1d4ceb7

NeilBrown