Re: Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 broken raid6.

On 9/30/2012 6:04 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, EJ wrote:

Fast forward to now, I've upgraded the system to 12.04 LTS and have lost access to my array. The array itself is a nine (9) disk raid6 managed by mdadm.

What version of kernel for 12.04 were you running?

If you didn't upgrade your kernel, you might have been hit by the bug described in:

<http://neil.brown.name/blog/20120615073245>

Hello,

I'm running the stock version of Ubuntu 12.04.0, using kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.

That link looks interesting-- I'm not sure if I triggered the bug how Mr. Neil Brown describes it, but I definitely have symptoms on some (not all) the disks of RAID level "-unknown-" and devices appearing to be spares.

I'm hesitant to re-create the array again (using mdadm) because according to that blog post, for RAID-6, the order of devices are important, and with this being a 9 disk array and no record of device order in logs or from my own memory, I have no idea what the proper order might be.

I do know that 1) I was using metadata version 1.2, 2) the array was not degraded and subsequently 3) no disks were missing.

Am I over-estimating the importance of the order and should proceed with the re-creation, or perhaps wait for Neil himself to weigh in the problem?

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

-EJ