RAID10 copies and missing devices on init

Dear list,

just a quick question to void a concern I had last night:

If I set up a RAID10 with offset=3 layout across 4 disks, but I only
provide 3 of them at array creation, MD will not just put a copy of
each data block onto each of the three disks, right?

Only every 4th block will be stored 3 times on the 3 disks, the
other 3 blocks will get stored twice only, until the fourth disk is
added into the array.

If this weren't the case, then setting up a system RAID10 system
with missing devices would mean that the initial system setup would
not be redundantly stored and the disks initially present would
become points of failure that the other redundant disks could not
prevent.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

philosophy: unintelligible answers to insoluble problems.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx