RAID array on block device vs. on partition

Hi,

A while ago I set up some RAID 10 arrays (4 x ~750GB drives), in which
the arrays' member devices were partitions on the hard drives.  I did
that because I thought that would allow a 750GB drive to be replaced
with a larger drive in the future; the drive could be paritioned
similarly to the partitions that that were array members.  Later I
realized that larger drives can be added to an existing array to replace
other drives / partitions / devices and it seems to work fine.

I am thinking about setting up arrays to use unpartitioned block devices
and switching some of the existing arrays to using unparitioned block
devices, too.  Is there a benefit to using unpartitioned block devices
over partitions or vice versa?  Or is it recommended to use one over
another?

Thanks for reading

andrew