Re: make filesystem failed while the capacity of raid5 is big than 16TB

Hi David:

         I am sorry for last mail that I had not described the
requirements of the system very clear.

         I will detail for you to describe the requirements of the system.

         This system has a 36 cores CPU, the frequency of each core is
1.2G. The system is designed to be a storage appliance product and a
management front end for it. The users can insert up to 16 disks to
the system and uses the interface that given by the appliance to
manage the disks and the arrays. The users can create a raid0, raid10
and raid5 use the disks they designated. After the array is be
created, the users can write to the array where the data they want.

         1. The system must support parallel write more than 150
files; the speed of each will reach to 1M/s. If the array is full,
wipe its data to re-write.

         2. Necessarily parallel the ability to read multiple files.

         3. as much as possible to use the storage space

         4. The system must have certain redundancy, when a disk
failed, the users can use other disk instead of the failed disk.

         5. The system must support disk hot-swap

         I have tested the performance for write of 4*2T raid5 and
8*2T raid5 of which the file system is ext4, the chuck size is 128K
and the strip_cache_size is 2048. At the beginning, these two raid5s
worked well. But there was a same problem, when the array was going to
be full, the speeds of the write performance tend to slower, there
were lots of data lost while parallel write 1M/s to 150 files.

         As you said, the performance for write of 16*2T raid5 will be
terrible, so what do you think that how many disks to be build to a
raid5 will be more appropriate?

         I do not know whether I describe the requirement of the
system accurately. I hope I can get your advice.