Re: Howto avoid full re-sync

On 11/09/12 00:12, Ralf Müller wrote:
> Besides all the stuff about fix your server, a raid is not a backup and you risk your data - simply add a write intent bitmap:
>
> mdadm /dev/md2 --grow --bitmap=internal
I've added this across a number of my systems now, and it seems to work
really well (Thank You), especially one system which has a RAID1 with an
external USB drive + internal drive which normally take over 2 days for
a full resync.

Can you suggest if there is any dis-advantage to using the bitmap (maybe
write performance will suffer), or disk space is reduced, or ....

While I can see the benefits, I'm just wondering if it might be too good
to be true, or what I am missing....

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,
Adam