Re: RFC: use TRIM data from filesystems to speed up array rebuild?

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:11:26 -0400 Ric Wheeler <ricwheeler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/04/2012 02:06 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not really a filesystem guy so this may be a really dumb question.
> >
> > We currently have an issue where we have a ~1TB RAID1 array that is mostly
> > given over to LVM.  If we swap one of the disks it will rebuild everything,
> > even though we may only be using a small fraction of the space.
> >
> > This got me thinking.  Has anyone given thought to using the TRIM information
> > from filesystems to allow the RAID code to maintain a bitmask of used disk
> > blocks and only sync the ones that are actually used?
> >
> > Presumably this bitmask would itself need to be stored on the disk.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
> >

> Device mapper has a "thin" target now that tracks blocks that are allocated or
> free (and works with discard).
>
> That might be a basis for doing an focused RAID rebuild,

I wonder how....
Maybe the block-later interface could grow something equivalent to
"SEEK_HOLE" and friends so that the upper level can find "holes" and
"allocated space" in the underlying device.
I wonder if it is time to discard the 'block device' abstraction and just use
files every .... but I seriously doubt it.

NeilBrown