Solved! (was Re: RAID6 Reshape (one more time))

So at this point I have partitions 5, 6, and 7 happy; 8 - 14 are marked
inactive...

NeilBrown was kind enough to offer some advice. Here's the short version, for anyone who runs across this searching:

1) Yes, metadata version 0.91 is OK, it just means a reshape is pending.

2) Mismatches in 'this' are most likely due to probe ordering changes; no problem.

3) The most likely cause for a failure like this if you know that the critical section was passed, and the checksums etc. are consistent, is simply that the backup of the critical section is too old:

3a) mdadm -A -v will confirm that the issue is that the backup is too old: it will say 'too-old timestamp on backup-metadata on xxxx' and, indeed, that was my issue.

3b) export MDADM_GROW_ALLOW_OLD=1 will allow mdadm -A to use the old backup anyway.

...and I'm happy to report that that worked just fine. I was using mdadm 3.2.5 for this; I don't know if 3.2.3 (which Ubuntu 12.04 ships with) supports MDADM_GROW_ALLOW_OLD.

Thanks, Neil!

-- Flynn

--
Церковь близко, но дорога очень скользкая; пивнушка далеко, но я буду идти осторожно. (Yakov Smirnoff)