Re: OT: silent data corruption reading from hard drives

well i think the integrity is know, but it´s not fully needed since
the security isn´t a problem we can buy secure sata/sas
controlers/disks
the main problem will be in some days when we are using SoC systems
and we only have USB to connect a harddrive... maybe when this become
more popular we will see a development of a module to have data
integrity (silient corruption detection and maybe repair)

2012/8/2  <listy@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I didn't expect the debate on
> controller price ranges, though.  :)
>
> My main concern was not really the price of the hardware ("OMG why
> doesn't my $15 card work?!?"), but that the entire setup, hardware +
> software, allows silent data corruption to occur. It's not hard to
> imagine that something similar might happen with an $800 controller
> card, for whatever reason.  And how would the user know, unless they
> noticed bad data, or happened to look at the mismatch_cnt?
>
> (And in my case, I think that, once the weekly raid-check runs and
> updates mismatch_cnt, it's already too late, as the check process has
> potentially rewritten bad data to the drives based on the bogus reads.
> Is that correct?   My array is RAID-6, btw.)
>
> Anyway, I'm going give up on SI-based controllers for now and try a
> StarTech PEXSAT34, as the Marvell 88SE9128 is supported natively by
> the kernel's AHCI driver.
>
> Thanks,
> matt
> --