Re: xfs/md filesystem hang on drive pull under IO with 2.6.35.13

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:17:21 -0700 Benedict Singer <bzsing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi XFS and MD experts,
>
> I'm experiencing a problem with a setup running XFS on top of an MD
> raid. The test I'm running is physically pulling a drive while the
> system is running, to simulate hardware failure. When the system is
> idle, this works fine; the md subsystem detects the missing drive and
> degrades the arrays, and everything keeps running fine. If I pull a
> drive while heavy IO activity (mostly if not completely reading) is
> happening on the XFS filesystem, then very often the filesystem seems to
> "hang" - both processes that were accessing the filesystem at the time
> hang, as well as any new ones like 'ls'. Luckily, the kernel noticed the
> hung processes and spit a bunch of useful information to syslog. The
> relevant snippets are reproduced below, including the messages
> indicating that the drive was pulled, along with other XFS/MD raid
> information from the system. The filesystem in question is on
> /dev/md126, mounted on /var/showstore, and the disk pulled was /dev/sda.
> Note that at the time this information was collected, the disk had been
> re-inserted and a rebuild was proceeding.
>
> Is this a bug (seems like a race condition leading to a deadlock?),
> and/or is there something to change in the way the system is set up to
> mitigate or workaround this?

Looks a lot like a bug in md.  It is waiting for the metadata to be marked
'dirty', and is waiting forever.

2.6.35 is a very old kernel.  It is entirely possible that the bug has been
fixed.
If you can reproduce with something newer I'd certainly be interested.

NeilBrown