Re: Does mdadm supports TRIM command to SSDs?

On 07/11/2012 01:49 PM, Bar Ziony wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the info, it's very assuring to know that TRIM is not needed.

There are some benchmarks that indicate improvement with TRIM, but I think it is overrated, and there are many cases where it makes things worse. If TRIM had been implemented properly (such as being asynchronous and working with the command queue) it would have been much more useful - but unfortunately it was made as a rush job to minimise the ageing effects seen with early SSDs.

We bought Samsung 830 256GB SSDs, and as I understood, they're very
good, but their GC is only when the device is idling, and they will be
installed on a DB server. I don't know if they'll be idle for long
periods.

There is always some idle time, even on a busy database server. If not, then you probably need more ram in the server!

Do you perhaps know if we need to over-provision modern SSDs like the
Samsung 830's ?

There is a fair amount of variation in the over-provisioning SSDs have - you'd have to read the specs for the drives in question. And if the drives have compressing controllers, they will effectively have more over-provisioning if your data is easily compressible. However, if you don't need all the space on the disks, then it's easy to add more over-provisioning - you simply leave part of the disk out of the partitioning (but make sure you do that before the disk is used, or after a complete wipe).

Thanks!
Bar.