Re: Resync Every Sunday

On 01/07/2012 13:44, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

- Is it safe to disable these checks? Would monitoring the SMART status of the disks serve as a good substitute?

Well, that's a decision you will have to make for yourself. The rationale behind it is to find latent read errors and correct them while you have parity already. Another term for this is "data scrubbing", you'll find quite a lot of discussion on that topic.

Personally, my view is that I make sure all my data are read at least once a month, I have experienced data loss historically because of lack of scrubbing.

Thanks, I think I'll change it to monthly as well. That seems like a good compromise.

I'm still very interested in the other questions though. Especially the one relating to why not all arrays are checked

Thanks