Re: raid10 devices all marked as spares?!

On 30-05-12 03:14, NeilBrown wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 20:48:42 +0200 Oliver Schinagl<oliverlist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 29-05-12 20:44, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
<snip>
You can recover your data by re-creating the array.

     mdadm -C /dev/md2 -l10 -n2 --layout o2 --assume-clean \
     -e 1.2  /dev/sda6 /dev/sdb6

Check that I have that right - don't just assume :-)
That looks very similar to what I used to create the array with, except
the assume-clean part. I wonder however, would it not wiser to create
the array using /dev/sda6 missing thus creating a degraded array?
Atleast I'll still have the sdb6 which MAY contain the data also (since
only sda6 'apparently' has wrong state?
That would be a suitable approach - arguably safer.  If you feel more
comfortable with it, then that is a strong reason to follow that course.
I have tried that on sda6 but it cannot file a filesystem when trying
to mount md2. This of course is quite scary. I am now slightly
doubting if my chunksize is the same as before, 128k.

I've used the following command.
mdadm -C /dev/md2 -c 128 -l 10 -p o2 --assume-clean -e 1.2 -n 2
--name=opt /dev/sda6 missing

Now I could try the same on sdb6 and hope that does work, but slightly
scared of loosing everything on that partition, it could be possible
of course that sdb6 is the partition that has everything in the
'proper' order? I will try to losetup sdb6 with an offset and see if
that is mountable.
Also, I forgot to mention, the thing that is really strange, is that the
data offset is somewhere extremely strange.

Data Offset : 262144 sectors
128MB.

where sda4 and sdb5 (md0 and 1) both have 2048, which sounds common and
sensible.
You'll need to use an older mdadm which uses the 2048 (1MB) offset.
The next mdadm (3.3) will have a --data-offset option to make this easier to
control.  For now you need 3.2.3 or earlier.
That should make your filesystem accessible.  If it doesn't try a different
chunk size. Maybe 64, maybe 512.

NeilBrown
Ah! Well I got scared at one point and booted some ubuntu liveUSB which actually did have the 2048 offset. However I believe that the 128MB offset however broke the start of my ext4 partition. I've used testdisk, which does find an ext4 partition, but it is empty. All is not lost yet I suppose, as I can always try scanning for backup superblocks and use those to repair the ext4 partition? (Hadn't found any backup blocks yet)

Luckly I still have sdb6 which I will dd into an image onto a backup harddisk and see if I can make mdadm use that. *fingers crossed*