Re: Recovering from two raid superblocks on the same disks

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:14:55 -0700 Jeff Johnson
<jeff.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am looking at a very unique situation and trying to successfully 1TB
> of very critical data.
>
> The md raid in question is a 12-drive RAID-10 sitting between two
> identical nodes via a shared SAS link. Originally the 12 drives were
> configured as two six drive RAID-10 volumes using the entire disk device
> (no partitions on member drives). That configuration was later scrapped
> in favor of a single 12-drive RAID-10 but in this configuration a single
> partition was created and the partition was used as the RAID member
> device instead of the entire disk (sdb1 vs sdb).
>
> One of the systems had the old two six-drive RAID-10 mdadm.conf file
> left in /etc. Due to a power outage both systems went down and then
> rebooted. When one system, the one with the old mdadm.conf file, came up
> md referenced the file, saw the intact old superblocks at the beginning
> of the drive and started an assemble and resync of those two six-drive
> RAID-10 volumes. The resync process got to 40% before it was stopped.
>
> The other system managed to enumerate the drives and see the partition
> maps prior to the other node assembling the old superblock config. I can
> still see the newer md superblocks that start on the partition boundary
> rather than the beginning of the physical drive.
>
> It appears that md overwrite protection was in a way circumvented by the
> old superblocks matching the old mdadm.conf file and not seeing
> conflicting superblocks at the beginning of the partition boundaries.
>
> Both versions, old and new, were RAID-10. It appears that the errant
> resync of the old configuration didn't corrupt the newer RAID config
> since the drives were allocated in the same order and the same drives
> were paired (mirrors) in both old and new configs. I am guessing that
> since the striping method was RAID-0 the absence of stripe parity to
> check kept the data on the drives from being corrupted. This is
> conjecture on my part.
>
> Old config:
> RAID-10, /dev/md0, /dev/sd[bcdefg]
> RAID-10, /dev/md1, /dev/sd[hijklm]
>
> New config:
> RAID-10, /dev/md0, /dev/sd[bcdefghijklm]1
>
> It appears that the old superblock remained in that ~17KB gap between
> physical start of disk and the start boundary of partition 1 where the
> new superblock was written.
>
> I was able to still see the partitions on the other node. I was able to
> read the new config superblocks from 11 of the 12 drives. UUIDs, state,
> all seem to be correct.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) Has anyone seen a situation like this before?

I haven't.

> 2) Is it possible that since the mirrored pairs were allocated in the
> same order that the data was not overwritten?

Certainly possible.

> 3) What is the best way to assemble and run a 12-drive RAID-10 with
> member drive 0 (sdb1) seemingly blank (no superblock)?

It would be good to work out exactly why sdb1 is blank as knowing that might
provide a useful insight into the overall situation.  However it probably
isn't critical.

The --assemble command you list below should be perfectly safe and allow
read access without risking any corruption.
If you
   echo 1 >  /sys/module/md_mod/parameters/start_ro

then it will be even safer (if that is possible).  It will certainly not write
anything until you write to the array yourself.
You can then 'fsck -n', 'mount -o ro' and copy any super-critical files before
proceeding.
I would then probably
   echo check > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action

just to see if everything is ok (low mismatch count expected).

I also recommend removing the old superblocks.
 mdadm --zero /dev/sdc --metadata=0.90

will look for a 0.90 superblock on sdc and if it finds one, it will erase it.
You should first double check with
   mdadm --examine --metadata=0.90 /dev/sda
to ensure that is the one you want to remove
(without the --metadata=0.90 it will look for other metadata, and you might
not want it to do that without you checking first).

Good luck,
NeilBrown