Re: Question about commit 02e7c5b75cd4ad5176441add156389c71dab6e3a - avoid including wayward devices

On Tue, 22 May 2012 15:59:50 +0300 Alexander Lyakas <alex.bolshoy@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Neil,
> can you pls give some details on that commit.
>
> As far as I understand, this change attempts to protect from
> split-brain, most typical to RAID1 (but also, e.g., to 4-drive RAID6)
> , where part of a mirrored set was assembled independently. The code
> first selects "most_recent" based on event count (as usual). Then it
> applies the map check to all those devices that are not "most_recent",
> and might kick them out, if it detects split-brain.
> However, when there is such split-brain, and parts of mirrored sets
> are assembled independently, the highest event count does not really
> tell us which part of the mirrored set is "more up-to-date". This is
> because event count is not tied to any hard clock or something like
> that. So there is really no way to tell what part of the mirrored set
> will be picked up here (WRT to user activity on the separate mirrored
> sets).

In a split brain situation *neither* side is "more up-to-date".  They are
both simply "differently up-to-date".  A wall-clock based event count would
not change this fact.

> What I am trying to say, I guess: don't you think that in such case,
> it would be better to warn the user and abort, and not pick (more or
> less) arbitrary part of the set? Or, in other words:) might you
> reconsider looking at some ideas for split-brain protection I pitched
> some time ago?:))

This is a policy question and so I am happy for an extension to the new
"policy" mechanism in mdadm to allow finer control for managing it.
I'm fairy sure that I think the default should be the current behaviour.
If you are assembling the arrays with "-I" it not really possible to reject
the first half of the brain that is found, so I don't think we should when
assembling with "-A".

I'm afraid I don't particularly remember the ideas you pitched before.  Feel
free to pitch them again -- and repeat every few weeks until you get an
answer :-)

NeilBrown