Re: Superblock backup

On Thu, 10 May 2012 19:44:31 +0200 Piergiorgio Sartor
<piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> again, following the RAID-5 story, I was wondering
> if could make sense to have a new superblock type,
> let's say 2.x, having backup copies (of persistent
> or quasi persistent data) in different areas of the
> drive components.
> This would be similar to filesystem or gpt.
>
> Is there anything planned for this?

This is one of the idea that has floated around in my head for a while,
possibly a v1.3 metadata.

However my thought there was always to protect against a bad block on the
device.  Protecting against data corruption due to bugs or sys-admin mistakes
is always best handled by backups.
e.g. take a 'dump' (either binary or textual) of the metadata every day, or
every reboot or something. (And store it on a different host).

Both are probably useful, but for the recently problem, a regular backup
would be the most useful.

> In any case, it would be still interesting to have
> a "backup" capability at hand, like a "dd" of the
> superblock to some secure file.

"mdadm -E" would probably be enough - just write a cron job :-)

NeilBrown