Re: md RAID with enterprise-class SATA or SAS drives

On 10/05/12 23:15, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 5/10/2012 8:51 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:

Hardware RAID cards usually offer battery-backed write cache, which is
very valuable in some applications.  I don't have a need for that kind
of performance, so I can't speak to the details.  (Is Stan H.
listening?)

Yes, I'm here to drop the hammer, and start a flame war. ;)  I've been
lurking and trying to stay out of the fray, but you "keep dragging me
back in!" --Michael Corleone

I find the mere existence of this thread a bit comical, as with all
others that have preceded it.  I made the comment on this list quite
some time ago that md raid is mostly used by hobbyists, and took a lot
of heat for that.  The existence of this thread adds ammunition to that
argument.

I think you've got that a bit backwards. Most hobbyists (or low-budget users) who use raid other than motherboard fakeraid will choose Linux md raid. It may well be that most users of md raid /are/ hobby or low-budget users. But your implication - that professionals don't use md raid - is completely wrong.

It's more likely that it is hobby users that discuss these sorts of things - professionals just pay the money that the server manufacturer asks for its supported disks, since paying that is cheaper than spending time discussing things. I know I mostly follow lists like this in my free time (as a hobbiest) rather than in work time (as a professional).