Re: Another RAID-5 problem

On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:31:19 +0200 Piergiorgio Sartor
<piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, we solved this issue in a "creative" way.
>
> Looking at:
>
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_superblock_formats
>
> we identify the proper address and look-up way for the
> component order and, using "od -Ax -tx4 /dev/sdXi | less"
> we were able to understand the device order.
> For the fresh men, please note that address 0xA0 has
> the device number and this is a pointer added to 0x100,
> where the device role is stored.
> While at 0xA0 are stored 4 bytes int, at 0x100 are
> stored 2 bytes int (short int), so the "-tx4" of "od"
> swaps (due to CPU endianess) each pair of short int,
> so the order will be 1 0 3 2 5 4 ...
> If "-tx2" is used, than the 0x100 will be correct,
> but 0xA0 will have bytes swapped pair wise.

Well done!!

> Fortunately, the superblock seemed OK for the data.
> Other information, like raid level, was completely
> wiped out...
>
> The only itch left is the data offset.
> We plan to try to use mdadm 2.6.7.1 (which originally
> created the array) using Ubuntu 10.10 desktop (live).
>
> Still, I would like to know about backing up the
> first few MB of each component with "dd" and about
> switching to read only, in order to avoid damage
> by LVM/mount.

Takes a backup of the first few MB certainly wouldn't hurt, and might help if
something goes terribly wrong. (Just as long as you don't restore a backup to
the wrong device :-)

Yes, starting in --readonly mode, or switching to --readonly mode after you
have started the array, is probably a good idea.
Some filesystems sometimes try to write even if the device is marked as
read-only (e.g. they try to replay the journal).  If that happen md will BUG
and machine will crash, which might be better than corrupting data.

NeilBrown