Re: [RFC 1/2] MD: raid5 trim support

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 08:52:07AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> >> Neil,
> >> Any comments about the patches?
> > ping!
> >

> So, are we still in the position of needing to degrade individual
> stripes to support trim?  Is there any benefit to making this a
> temporary condition?  I.e. trim large ranges, including the parity
> disk, and then once all the trim sequences have coalesced resync the
> stripes that remain only partially trimmed?

Yes, we need trim a whole stripe one time. This is the best I can do now.
resync involves write and I don't want to do any unnecessary write, because
trim is to improve ssd firmware garbage collection while write goes to the
oppositive and makes flash wear out faster.

Or your suggestion is if a trim is small (for example, only covers one disk),
we don't do trim immediately but just record it in bitmap. Later if the small
trim can be coalesced to one strip, trim the strip. This is optimal but
involves disk format change. And to make it efficient, we need track 4kB range.
>From Neil's blog, there isn't such space left.

Thanks,
Shaohua