Re: Failed drive while converting raid5 to raid6, then a hard reboot

On Tue, 8 May 2012 22:19:49 +0000 Hákon Gíslason <hakon.gislason@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Thank you for the reply, Neil
> I was using mdadm from the package manager in Debian stable first
> (v3.1.4), but after the constant drive failures I upgraded to the
> latest one (3.2.3).
> I've come to the conclusion that the drives are either failing because
> they are "green" drives, and might have power-saving features that are
> causing them to be "disconnected", or that the cables that came with
> the motherboard aren't good enough. I'm not 100% sure about either,
> but at the moment these seem likely causes. It could be incompatible
> hardware or the kernel that I'm using (proxmox debian kernel:
> 2.6.32-11-pve).
>
> I got the array assembled (thank you), but what about the raid5 to
> raid6 conversion? Do I have to complete it for this to work, or will
> mdadm know what to do? Can I cancel (revert) the conversion and get
> the array back to raid5?
>
> /proc/mdstat contains:
>
> root@axiom:~# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> md0 : active (read-only) raid6 sdc[6] sdb[5] sda[4] sdd[7]
>       5860540224 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 32k chunk, algorithm 18 [5/3] [_UUU_]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> If I try to mount the volume group on the array the kernel panics, and
> the system hangs. Is that related to the incomplete conversion?

The array should be part way through the conversion.  If you
   mdadm -E /dev/sda
it should report something like "Reshape Position : XXXX" indicating
how far along it is.
The reshape will not restart while the array is read-only.  Once you make it
writeable it will automatically restart the reshape from where it is up to.

The kernel panic is because the array is read-only and the filesystem tries
to write to it.  I think that is fixed in more recent kernels (i.e. ext4
refuses to mount rather than trying and crashing).

So you should just be able to "mdadm --read-write /dev/md0" to make the array
writable, and then continue using it ... until another device fails.

Reverting the reshape is not currently possible.  Maybe it will be with Linux
3.5 and mdadm-3.3, but that is all months away.

I would recommend an "fsck -n /dev/md0" first and if that seems mostly OK,
and if "mdadm -E /dev/sda" reports the "Reshape Position" as expected, then
make the array read-write, mount it, and backup any important data.

NeilBrown