Re: Feature request for mdadm 3.3

	Hello Patrik and Neil ,

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Patrik Horník wrote:
Hello,

I have one feature request for mdadm 3.3, support for upgrade of
metadata 0.9 to metadata 1.0.

I guess there is a lot of old raid arrays with metadata 0.9 out there,
because raid / lvm  are often used for its expansibility and longevity
and thus I guess many of them evolved from old 0.9 raid arrays. At
least I have a few of them.

Upgrade to 1.0 is now of course very needed because of two new very
important features in latest kernel versions requiring 1.x,
hot-replace and badblock log.

Manual upgrade by recreating array is pretty risky on important data,
so support for this feature in mdadm would be very appreciated. What
do you think guys, will it be useful feature?

Thanks.

Patrik Horník

One further suggestion , iirc 1.0 metadata is not compliant with auto assembled (Via Kernel, fd partition type) , That if mdadm notices an array created to be a 0.9 with partition type fd that it BOLDLY announces at migration time that this MAY(Will ?) make the array nolonger auto assemble and to prepare for this eventuallity .

		Hth ,  JimL
| James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
| Network&System Engineer | 3237     Holden Road |  Give me Linux  |
| babydr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Fairbanks, AK. 99709 |   only  on  AXP |