Re: Backup file size when migrating from raid5 to raid6?

On Sun, 6 May 2012 10:17:52 +0000 Garðar Arnarsson <gardar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My raid5 array has gotten a bit big, it's containing total 10 drives
> right now (I started out with 3 drives). So I am going to convert it
> to raid6 before it gets any bigger.
>
> I am doing a test-run on a virtual machine with virtual drives to see
> that everything works flawlessly.
>
> When I tried to convert the array to raid6 I got a error message about
> a missing backup-file
>
> mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5 --level=6
>
> mdadm level of /dev/md0 changed to raid6
> mdadm: /dev/md0: Cannot grow - need backup-file
> mdadm: aborting level change
>
> I added the backup file and was able to convert the array successfully
> after that.
>
> My question is, how big is this backup file going to be? My real raid
> array consists of 2tb drives, will the backup file be as big as one
> drive in the array, or will it just be few megabytes or gigabytes?
> I'm asking because I'm wondering if I need to buy an extra hdd for the
> backup file or if the backup file can just be on my OS hdd that has
> around 100gb free.

The backup file is a few megabytes. Around 16MB I think.

However if you are likely to add another device in the not too distant future
you can save yourself a bit of time.

If you

 mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --level=6 --layout=preserve

It will just make the new few a 'Q-block' device, containing the extra RAID6
'parity' block for each stripe.  This doesn't require any reshape or or any
backup file and is a lot faster.  All it requires is a normal recovery
operation.

Then when you later add another device you can

  mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=N+1 --layout=normalise

This will convert from the Q-on-the-last-device layout to a more normal
rotated-P-and-Q layout at the same time as adding extra space.

NeilBrown