Re: [BISECT] Kernel panic, RIP bitmap_create

On Thu, 3 May 2012 23:37:38 -0700 Karl Newman <siliconfiend@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Somehow gmail marked this email as read, too, so I missed it. Anyway,
> that did it! With this patch applied I can successfully boot! I tested
> the offending commit by itself first with the all-zeros uuid patch
> applied and confirmed the bug was still present, then applied this
> patch and the bug was gone. I also applied this patch to 3.4-rc5 and
> confirmed that it was still good.

Thanks - and good news.

I'd still like to know how this bug manages to cause a crash (I create an
array that have identical "mdadm -E" and "mdadm -X" output on an x86_64
machine, and couldn't make it crash).

I'll add a Reported-by: and Tested-by: for you and submit to Linus shortly.

> Thank you for your help on this issue, and thank you for your work as
> a kernel developer and supporting this crucial component.

A pleasure - specially when I get to work with helpful and responsive
people :-)

NeilBrown