Re: Is this enough for us to have triple-parity RAID?

Hi Emmanuel,

The real reason of a HDD performance bottleneck is the mechanical
movements inside it,
RPM * density is just a reflection of that. It is always more
desirable to try to remove the
mechanical parts in it instead of playing with RPM * density when we
try to optimize it for
better performance.

There are three types of mechanical movements and interaction inside a HDD:
1. The spinning of the platter (the one we want to eliminate most)
2. The movement of the actuator arm to position the read/write head on
the right track (relatively tamed)
3. The fluid dynamic interaction between the platter and the
read/write head through a thin layer of fast
moving air

With Ostler' technology, 3 is no longer necessary for the write head,
and the platter is no longer tightly
coupled with the write head as it was. This might lead to elimination
of the spinning of the platter and
my ideas were just some premature attempts.

If this were to succeed, we still need to develop a new way to read
the data from the now non-spinning
storage medium. I haven't even got a premature idea for it yet, but
one observation is this: since we
can always use a cache to increase access response time, the new
reading method may not need to
be 1000X faster than the original one to be comparable to the new
writing method.

Finally we probably need a new way to coordinate the read and write
operations of the new disk since
the new read head and write head are likely to be separate and the
current simply scheme will not
work any more.

This doesn't sound like a plan we can work out via interchange of
e-mail message, so I really want to
stop right here. I myself will definitely follow Ostler's work and see
how things go. So good luck!

Cheers,
Alex