Re: recovering from raid5 corruption

On 04/29/2012 07:45 PM, NeilBrown wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:29:10 -0400 Shaya Potter<spotter@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 04/29/2012 06:52 PM, NeilBrown wrote:

You've written a new superblock 4K in to each device, where previously here
was something.   So you have probably corrupted something though we cannot
easily tell what.

Retry your experiment with --metadata=0.90.  Hopefully one of those
combinations will work better.  If it does, make a backup of the data you
want to keep, then I would suggest rebuilding the array from scratch.

ok, thanks, that was a huge help.

I have it setup correctly now (obvious due to the fact that I can read
the lvm configuration without any gibberish when ordered correctly).

I should add that this only proves that you have the first device correct,
the rest may be wrong.
You need to activate the LVM, then look at the filesystem and see if it is
consistent before you can be sure that all devices are in the correct
position.

true, but that also brings my permutations down to 2 (based on my assumption that disks in slot 2 (missing), 3 (uncorrupted), are correct. so hopefully restoring lvm doesn't mess up any other data (though probably have to make sure that ext3 doesn't do any journal reading/writing in an attempt to mount to see if setup correctly as well).