Re: Is this enough for us to have triple-parity RAID?

Hi,

Yes, being a generator for GF(2^8) is a requirement for a parity generator (sorry for the confusing terminology here - if anyone has a better suggestion, please say) to be part of a 255 data disk system. However, being a GF generator is necessary but not sufficient - using parity generators (1, 2, 4, 16) will /not/ give quad parity for 255 data disks, even though individually each of 1, 2, 4 and 16 are generators for GF.

255 data disks is the theoretical limit for GF(2⁸). But it is a theoretical limit of the algorithms - I don't know whether Linux md raid actually supports that many disks. I certainly doubt if it is useful.

It might well be that a 21 data disk limit quad parity is useful - or at least, as useful as quad parity ever would be. It would fit well within a typical large chassis with 24 disk slots. And then it doesn't matter that 8 is not a generator for GF(2⁸) - it becomes the best choice because of the easiest implementation.