Re: RAID 1 partition with hot spare shows [UUU] ?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:42:54 +0200 John Crisp <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to trouble people, and I am sure you have better things to do, but
> I can't find an answer to the following and don't know where else to go.
>
> I have been struggling with this problem for weeks and having read all I
> can I still don't know the answer.
>
> I have a server running a version of CentOS 5.x   Yes, mdadm is old at
> 2.6.9 but it isn't possible to update it currently.
>
> A year or so ago I clean installed with a software RAID 1 array using
> /dev/sda & /dev/sdb and two partitions, md1 & md2 configure
> automatically on install.
>
> I restored data to the RAID and then added manually added a third drive
> /dev/sdc as a spare.
>
> All appeared hunky dory, but whilst trying to figure a slightly
> different problem on a different machine, I went back to the first one
> to check how it was configured. Although I am sure all looked normal
> when I had last looked, this time is looked a bit strange.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have an exact copy of things before I started
> messing about but it looked something like this :
>

> cat /proc/mdstat revealed :
>
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md1 : active raid1 sdc1[2] sdb1[1] sda1[0]
>       104320 blocks [3/3] [UUU]
>
> md2 : active raid1 sdc2(S) sdb2[1] sda2[0]
>       244091520 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>

> I don't understand how md1 shows [UUU] ??

You have a RAID1 with 3 devices.  What it difficult to comprehend about that.
Each block is written to all three devices.

You don't want that?  Change it.

   mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --raid-disks=4

now it has 4 devices - though one will be missing.

   mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --raid-disks=2

now it has 2 devices.  Actually that won't work until you mark one of the
devices as failed, so

   mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdc1
   mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --raid-disks=2

But maybe you really wanted a 3-disk RAID1 before - it is a configuration
that certainly has a place.

Next you'll be telling me that a RAID5 cannot be made with just 2 devices!
:-)

NeilBrown