Re: software raid and ERC

On 4/17/12, . <desire@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> P.S. I would buy ERC if I could, but the right hard disk models do not
> seem to be available locally.  My preference is for the Hitachi 7k3000
> series, but it seems to be out of stock with possibly months of delay.
>  So what's left are the consumer 2TB models with ERC feature -
> possibly just the Hitachi 2TB or Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB.  I'd
> appreciate any other suggestions too.

Mine is just anecdotal info from a dozen or so machines. So far I
haven't had any mdraid 1 issues running on consumer grade HDDs.
Basically budget issues since only of my customer had been willing to
fork out premiums for the RE drives. I'll strongly recommend you mix
drive models (or at least the batch) though to avoid a batch/model
issue, such as the Seagate 1TB firmware problem, from killing all the
drives at almost the same time.